Grand Prix Trials
are the biggest open Magic events run around the world. These exciting three-day festivals of all that is Magic feature a two-day main event with thousands of dollars in cash prizes. Plus, you’ll find artist signings and more side events than you could possibly play in your most fevered Magic-induced dreams.
Get a leg up at your next Grand Prix by competing in Grand Prix Trials (GPT). These tournaments are run by independent stores around the world and award a two-round bye to a Grand Prix, giving you a head start on the competition with two free wins to start the tournament.
The winner receives a two-round bye at the Grand Prix linked to that trial. Additional prizes are determined by the event organizer.
Byes are only eligible for use in the Grand Prix linked to the Grand Prix Trial and are not transferrable to future tournaments. Additionally, trials are run only for individual Grand Prix. Team Grand Prix do not award byes and do not have GPTs associated with them.
Players should also keep in mind the following for GPTs:
- Tournaments are run at a Competitive REL (Rules Enforcement Level) with a 3x Planeswalker Points Multiplier
- All Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center
- Swiss rounds are 50 minutes long and best two out of three matches
- Playoff matches are best two out of three, single elimination, and untimed
- The store owner, organizer, judge(s), and/or scorekeeper of the GPT may not play in the tournament